Thursday, April 2, 2015

LOWRIDING: From Crenshaw to Woodward @ The Scarab Club

The Scarab Club Presents, LOWRIDING: From Crenshaw to Woodward.  A group exhibit featuring photographs of lowrider culture. Opening reception is April 10, 2015.

In 2005, while I was working on my photo-essay regarding graffiti culture in southwest Detroit, an unexpected consequence of my relationship to street art, was an introduction to Erik Howard, a community activist, who now runs an art-based youth development program in southwest Detroit. When we first met, he possessed a keen interest in photography, but had no formal training to nourish his growth as a photographer. Although I did not set out to be his mentor, my relationship to him naturally , and almost instantly, made me one. For the last ten years, I have watched Erik grow into a talented photographer, who has earned every right to be considered as a viable and respected photographer in the community.

Noah Levy, another young photographer who I have had the pleasure of working with, will be showing work as well. Like Howard, Noah has spent a great deal of his time documenting various aspects of urban and lowrider culture.

Please come out this Friday night, for the reception, and support these young artists, who are representing the next generation of photographers, that are passionately documenting the city of Detroit and its people.


No comments:

Post a Comment